the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
synonyms: the women’s movement, the feminist movement, women’s liberation, female emancipation, women’s rights;informal women’s lib“a longtime advocate of feminism”
1.a person who supports feminism.
1.relating to or supporting feminism.“feminist literature”
Who and What it is not:
- ONLY Women that hate men.
- The belief that women are superior to men.
- ONLY women that are lesbians.
- Someone that hates bananas and Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl” song.
- Someone that ONLY likes to dress “masculine”.
- Someone that ONLY likes to dress “feminine”.
- The belief that circular shapes are superior to triangle shapes.
- Someone that views being “feminine” negatively.
- Someone that views being “masculine” negatively.
- Someone that hates the color pink.
- Someone that believes everyone should be just like them.
- Women that are ugly and single. And probably will be until the day they die.
The list can go on and on but hopefully you get the idea. And the idea (in case you missed it) is that these alternative opinions and beliefs about feminism and feminist are ridiculous and completely misinformed. Clearly some of these ideas are much easier to identify as absurd than the others, but none the less they are all absurd. These negative notions circling the movement are nothing but false accusations made by individuals with overcompensating egos (poor little things). Now do some of those variations exist. Yes. But they do not construct the definition of feminism. Furthermore, if someone does perpetuate these sort of negative beliefs whilst calling themselves a feminist then they are severely dissociated from the movement. Unfortunately, yes there are dum dum’s peddling these ideas and stereotypes out there. But do you really want to join them in their dum dum-ness? I didn’t think so. So don’t be a dum dum. Be informed.